Information Guide: Pistol Permits
Please note that Pistol Permit holders are now subject to recertification every FIVE (5) YEARS.
- How do I get a pistol license application?
Pick up an application at the Sullivan County Clerk’s Office, 100 North Street, Monticello, New York. Once completed, the application must be returned to the same location.
By appointment only.
- Can you mail me an application?
Applications can be mailed by request. Enclose an $8.00 check for the application and processing fee.
- What are the requirements?
You must reside in New York State, and apply in the county in which you reside.
- How old must I be?
21 years of age to apply for a license and to also purchase a pistol on your own.
- How must does it cost?
There is a$5.00 fee to pick up the application; a $10.00 processing fee for the Sullivan County Clerk and approximately a $100.00 fingerprint fee at the time of electronic fingerprinting.
- How long does it take to process?
Approximately five to six months on average, but it may take longer for some applications.
- For what purpose can I obtain a pistol license?
Target shooting, hunting, fishing, hiking, and camping.
- What if I want to upgrade my license?
You can apply for an upgrade at the Sullivan County Clerk’s Office, or fill out and sign this amendment form and mail it to our office. Upgrades will be granted at the discretion of the Judge.
- What if I’ve been arrested or convicted of a crime before?
You must submit a certified copy of disposition.
- Must the character references on my application reside in Sullivan County?
Yes, your character references must be Sullivan County residents.
- For how long is the pistol license valid?
There is no expiration date on New York State pistol licenses.
- Must I be a citizen of the United States to get a pistol license?
No, but if you are not a U.S. citizen, you must submit 2 copies of your green card.
- When and where can I be fingerprinted?
Fingerprints are now being electronically submitted. Call toll-free 877-472-6915, or go on line at uenroll.identogo.com to make an appointment. The closest locations would be 15 Sullivan Avenue, Suite 9, Liberty, NY or 40 Matthews Street, Suite 103, Goshen, NY. Other locations are available on line or by calling the toll free number. When you call you will be required to give an ORI number and location. The ORI number is NY052013J the location is Clerk-Pistol Permit Monticello, NY 12701.
- When and where can I get my pictures taken?
Pictures may be taken at the location of your choice. We can take photos as well for a fee of $15.00
- What should I do when I move, change my employer, or wish to buy or sell a pistol?
Contact the Pistol License Office in the Sullivan County Clerk's Office.
- What if one of my pistols is stolen?
If a pistol is stolen it must be reported to both the Police and the Pistol License Office in the Sullivan County Clerk’s Office.
- Can I co-own a pistol with another person?
Yes, but it must be listed on each owner’s pistol license and is only allowed between immediate family members. Fill out and sign this form, and make sure to get the Co-Register Form notarized.
- How many pistols can I own?
There is no limit to the number of pistols you can own. However, upon purchase of a 10th pistol, you must submit proof of a locked safe, and submit a sworn affidavit in this regard.
- Who should I call if I have further questions?
Call the Pistol License Office in the Sullivan County Clerk’s Office at (845) 807-0416/0417. The office is located at 100 North Street, Monticello, New York, 12701. Office hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.