Skip to main content

Apply for HEAP

(En Espanol)

If You Are A Prior Recipient of HEAP:

If you received a HEAP benefit last year and reside in the same county that your application was filed last year or if someone in the household was under 6, disabled, or over age 60 or older an application was mailed to your home in August. You should complete it and return it as soon as possible.

How Do I Apply For HEAP:

Low-income Sullivan County residents may apply for the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), online (preferred method), by mail, or in person at our community partners or the Department of Social Services office.

It’s Easy to Find out if You May be Eligible for HEAP

To find out if you may be eligible for HEAP benefits, visit to use the HEAP Pre-screening Eligibility Tool. This pre-screening tool is not an application for HEAP. If your household is eligible for Food Stamps, you will be automatically eligible for a Regular Heap Benefit. An application for food stamps must be submitted to your local Food Stamp office. If you need fuel immediately, you would need to file a HEAP application while the Food Stamps application is being processed. The current HEAP application will be available online in English and Spanish

If You Are Applying For HEAP For The First Time You Can Apply: 

Online: (Preferred Method)
Visit and apply online. Your application will be received by the local HEAP unit at Department of Social Services in Liberty, NY as soon as you submit it online.

In Person
In person at our community partners or the Department of Social Services office located at 16 Community Lane, Liberty, NY. If you are 60 years of age or older you may also apply at your local Office for the Aging at the Government Center located at 100 North Street, Monticello, NY.

What do I need for the application?

  • A current fuel and/or utility bill or a statement from your landlord that your heat and/or utilities are not included in your rent
  • Proof of income for the previous 4 weeks
  • Unemployment insurance award letter
  • Bank statements, interest or dividend statements
  • Pension award letter
  • Copies of Social Security checks or direct deposit statements
  • Business statements for the previous 3 months if you are self-employed or most recent income tax return with supporting schedules.
  • Social Security card for each household member.

You may need to bring one of the following for each person in your household:

  • Birth or marriage certificates
  • School or baptismal records
  • Driver’s license

For further information about the Home Energy Assistance Program, call 845-807-0142.

Documents needed to process your HEAP applications may now be sent via e-mail to

Back to Top