Liberty, NY – Like the holidays, the Super Bowl is an American gathering tradition, but this year, those get-togethers could come with a high price.
“Super Bowl parties could easily be super-spreader events,” cautions Sullivan County Public Health Services Director Nancy McGraw. “Gathering close together without masks – which is inevitable if food and drinks are present – with people you haven’t recently come into contact with? That’s a breeding ground for COVID-19 infection.”
“Public Health doesn’t want to be a killjoy,” she adds. “So here are some other ways, courtesy of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, that you can enjoy the party safely.”
· Host a virtual Super Bowl watch party.
· Wear clothing or decorate your home with your favorite team’s logo or colors.
· Make appetizers or snacks with the people you live with to enjoy while watching the game, and share the recipes with your friends and family.
· Start a text group with other fans to chat about the game while watching.
· Attend an outdoor viewing party where viewers can sit 6 feet apart.
“Outdoor parties are probably not feasible for most of us this time of year,” acknowledges McGraw. “So if you end up indoors at a party with people you don’t see often, make sure to sit at least 6 feet away from them, wash your hands frequently, and keep that mask on as much as possible. Enjoying the game shouldn’t cost you your health!”
For more information on coronavirus, go to https://sullivanny.us/departments/publichealth/coronavirus or https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/home.