Liberty, NY – You may not hear of it often, but Sullivan County’s Medical Assistance (MA) Unit is responsible for a critical portion of Public Assistance: determining eligibility for Medicaid and various related programs.
These programs are designed to provide necessary medical, dental and optical care to families who may not otherwise be able to obtain these services. They are based on need and have varying eligibility requirements for groups such as pregnant women, children under age 19 and senior citizens.
Within this unit there are several specialized programs:
- Nursing Home (Chronic Care)
- Disabled Client Assistance Program
- Medicare Savings Program
- Managed Care Medicaid Program
- Aid to the Disabled
- Buy-In for the Working Disabled
- SSI Medicaid
For those already receiving MA, spend-downs (similar to a deductible) can be mailed to the Department of Family Services at P.O. Box 231, Liberty, NY 12754. Or they can be put in one of the drop boxes, located in the Travis Building at 16 Community Lane in Liberty or at the Government Center, 100 North Street, Monticello.
“We strongly discourage leaving cash in a drop box,” noted Directory of Temporary Assistance Giselle Steketee. “If you can’t leave a check, mail us a money order, or stop by our office in person so that we can securely receive your cash payment.”
Other items to remember when applying for MA:
- Anyone under 65 who is not receiving Medicare nor in need of waiver services should call 1-855-355-5777 or visit www.nystateofhealth.ny.gov to apply or to find a local Navigator who can assist with the application process.
- Anyone 65 or older (or anyone under 65 who is in need of waiver services or has Medicare) can fax, mail or drop off a Medicaid application at the Liberty address. The fax number is 845-292-1320.
“For both your safety and your convenience, we’re working to minimize in-person trips to our offices,” said Steketee. “Please contact your eligibility worker prior to visiting the Dept. of Family Services (DFS) or a drop box, as we may be able to address your concerns and questions over the phone, saving you unnecessary travel.”
The DFS office can be reached at 845-292-0100.