The New York State's All Hazards Alert and Notification System (NY-ALERT) allows you to receive emergency information such as major closures and severe weather events at home, work or on the go. You can choose to have the alerts sent to your e-mail, telephone, cell phone and other devices (personal and/or work). Receiving emergency information is an important step to being prepared as an individual, a family and a community. We encourage you to take the first step to personal preparedness by subscribing (it's free and easy).
NY-ALERT is free and subscription-based. Register today at:
If you do not have access to the worldwide web, you can still sign up for
NY-ALERT by calling 1 888-697-6972.
Being Prepared is as Easy as 1, 2, 3 .....
- Develop a Family Emergency Plan
- Emergencies can strike anywhere. Develop a plan at home, but also learn about plans at your workplace, school, or anywhere you and your family spend time.
- Stock up on Emergency Supplies
- During an emergency, electricity, heat, air conditioning or telephone service may not work. Be prepared to make it on your own for at least three days. Create an Emergency Supplies Kit and be sure to include water, food, portable radio and/ or TV, flashlight, plenty of extra batteries, manual can opener, health and hygiene items, tools and personal supplies.
- Be Aware
- Pay attention to the news, know your local radio and television stations, and be aware of your surroundings. If you see something unusual or suspicious, contact local law enforcement or call the Terrorism Tips Hotline at 1-866-SAFE-NYS. The best way to stay informed is to subscribe to NY-ALERT.
For more information, visit the New York State Office of Emergency Management