Liberty, NY – The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) officially starts this Tuesday, November 12, when applications will start being accepted. Here is some information that will help you get your benefit FAST this year.
“Don’t plan to come back to Sullivan County’s Department of Family Services (DFS) for your application – we have become a processing center,” explained Joe Todora, Commissioner of the Division of Health & Family Services. “Instead, plan to see one of our community partners.”
Here are the steps to ensure you get the benefits you need to stay warm this winter:
- Apply online at www.mybenefits.ny.gov on or after November 12; OR
- Visit www.mybenefits.ny.gov and click on “HEAP” under “Assistance Programs.” This will take you to a link for a paper application that you can print, fill out, and bring to a Community Partner listed below on or after November 12.
- If you are a NEW applicant, you will need to fill out an application online or in person with one of the Community Partners. You must have an interview, either via phone or in person. You will need to provide a valid Social Security number for all household members, proof of residence, and earned and unearned income for all household members; OR
- If you are a RETURNING applicant (obtained HEAP benefits within the past 3 years), you will need to complete a HEAP application online or in person with one of the Community Partners listed below. You must provide current earned income for the entire household, plus report all current household members. You will NOT be required to have an interview.
The following Community Partners will be working with DFS to process applications and to communicate with clients & vendors:
- Action Toward Independence, Inc., 309 E. Broadway, Monticello, 12701, (845) 794-4228, FAX (845) 794-4475, open M-F, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., walk-ins or appointments welcome
- Independent Living, Inc., 14 Pelton Street, East Wing, Monticello, 12701, (845) 794-3322, FAX (845) 794-3323, open to appointments only M-W, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., walk-ins welcome Th-F, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Sullivan County Office for the Aging, 100 North Street, Monticello, 12701, (845) 807-0241, FAX (845) 807-0260, open M-F, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., walk-ins or appointments welcome
For more information, call the County’s HEAP Office at 845-807-0142.