CERTIFICATE OF RESIDENCY INFORMATION SHEET
Pursuant to Sections 6301 and 6305 of the Education Law and Resolution No. 240-3 of the Sullivan County Legislature in Connection With Attendance at Community Colleges
Certificates of Residence will only be issued within 60 days prior to each college term and no later than the following dates:
FALL SEMESTER: December 31 of applicable semester;
SPRING SEMESTER: May 31 of the applicable semester;
SUMMER SESSION: August 31 of the applicable session; and
WINTER SESSION: January 31 of the applicable session.
Certificates are valid for a period of one year.
- When applying for a Certificate of Residence, you must complete an Application for Certificate of Residence and sign the same before a Notary Public. The form can be filed by mail or in person at: Sullivan County Treasurer, 100 North Street, PO Box 5012, Monticello, NY 12701. A Notary Public is available at the County Treasurer’s Office for your convenience (photo identification is required).
- Whether applying for a certificate of residence in person or by mail – three separate forms of PROOF OF RESIDENCY must be submitted:
- PROOF OF NYS RESIDENCY - 1 YEAR PRIOR
- PROOF OF SULLIVAN COUNTY RESIDENCY - 6 MONTHS PRIOR
- PROOF OF CURRENT SULLIVAN COUNTY ADDRESS
- Proof must show a street address. Documents which have only your Post Office box listed as your address are not acceptable proof for the purpose of determining residency. Some proper forms of proof may be one or more of the following:
ALL STUDENTS: New York State driver’s license, permit or non-driver I.D.; property tax bill; voter registration card, utility bill, paystub, bank statement, rent receipt, apartment lease, vehicle registration or insurance card, income tax return. If your mail is forwarded to a PO Box, a letter from your Post Office confirming your physical address is also acceptable.
FOR STUDENTS UNDER 21, in addition to the documents listed above, the following proofs are also acceptable: school records, parent/guardian income tax return reflecting student as a dependent; telephone bills; current magazine subscription with student’s name/address.
MILITARY PERSONNEL: Discharge papers (DD214) reflecting Sullivan County as your legal address upon entering the military.
We request that some form of photo identification be presented with every application.