Monticello, NY – Volunteers trained as tax counselors can prepare and file Federal and State tax returns at no cost to individuals and families through the AARP Tax-Aide program, part of the AARP Foundation.
“Although focused on taxpayers over 50 who would otherwise struggle to afford tax preparation, we welcome anyone of any age who is low- to middle-income,” explained Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) Americorps Program Coordinator Martha Tully, whose volunteers are involved. “However, complex returns and higher incomes (including businesses) are beyond the scope of the program.”
Preparation of tax returns will be offered at these locations on these dates (appointments are required):
- Mondays and Wednesdays, Cornell Cooperative Extension, Liberty, 845-292-6180
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, Crawford Public Library, Monticello, 845-794-4660
- February 6 and 9, Liberty Public Library, 845-292-6070
- March 2, 4 and 7, Mamakating Library, Wurtsboro, 845-888-8004
- March 6 and 20, Sunshine Hall Free Library, Eldred, 845-557-6258
This service is sponsored by AARP and the IRS, with help from the Cornell Cooperative Extension Service of Sullivan County, Sullivan County RSVP, and the participating libraries.