The Sullivan County Clerk’s Office provides notary services free of charge during normal business hours.
Notary Publics are "commissioned" (i.e., licensed) by the Secretary of State. Notarial functions include:
- administering oaths and affirmations;
- taking affidavits and depositions;
- receiving and certifying acknowledgments or proof of such written instruments as deeds, mortgages and powers of attorney; and
- demanding acceptance or payment of foreign and inland bills of exchange, promissory notes and obligations in writing, and protesting the same for non-payment
Term of commission is four years.
Many banks, law offices and other institutions which deal in financial or real property transactions employ individuals who are commissioned as Notaries Public. It is the responsibility of licensees to understand the Notary Public Law.
- To become a Notary, visit the NYS Department of State at https://dos.ny.gov/notary-public.
- Submit a completed application and the required fee to the Department of State.
- Pass the New York State notary public examination. NYS Attorneys and court clerks of the Unified Court System are exempt from the examination.
- Be a resident of New York State or have an office or place of business in New York State.
There are fees associated with your Notary Public commission. You may pay these fees by check or money order made payable to the Department of State or by MasterCard or Visa using a credit card authorization form. DO NOT SEND CASH.
Application fees are nonrefundable. A $20 fee will be charged for any check returned by your bank.
- $60 - Initial Application
- $60 - Renewal (payable to the County Clerk's office)
- $15 - Written Exam
- $10 - Change of Personal Name and/or Address (no fee is required if a name change is the result of a change in marital status)
- $10 - Duplicate License/Registration Request
Renew Your License
You are eligible to renew your license 90 days prior to your license expiration date. Your license expiration date is printed on the license. (Note: If you have renewed with the County Clerk, do not submit an additional renewal through the online portal as this will result in a duplicate charge.)
A renewal reminder is mailed approximately 90 days prior to the license expiration date. You must renew within 6 months of the expiration date.
You may renew your commission online by applying for reappointment through the State's online licensing system. To renew your commission, follow the below instructions:
- Access the online system at https://businessexpress.ny.gov; then, click on “Search Applications” and search for “Notary”
- Sign in or create a NY.gov account.
- Find your notary record.
- Go to “My Dashboard” to start your renewal.
- You will be able to log in to your account and view the status of your application.
Update Your License
To update your personal name, business or residence address download, complete and submit the Change Notice to the address on the form.
To request a duplicate license certificate, complete and submit the Duplicate License/Registration Request to the address on the form.