PLEASE NOTE: U.S. citizens must present a valid U.S. Passport, U.S. Passport Card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security, when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry.
Requirements to Apply for a Passport
YOU MUST MAKE AN APPOINTMENT. Please call 845-807-0411.
PROOF OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP: You must submit one of the following, and your evidence must be an original or certified copy. (A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.)
- Birth certificate with a raised seal and a filing date (NOT a hospital certificate or photocopy)
- Naturalization certificate
- Previous U.S. Passport (can be expired).
Please note: A hospital birth record or baptismal certificate is NOT acceptable.
PROOF OF IDENTITY: You must present ONE of the following identification documents (ID), and the ID must readily identify you.
- Valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card
- In-state, fully valid driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
- U.S. military or military dependent ID
- Current (valid) foreign passport
- Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
- U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
- Trusted Traveler ID (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards)
- Enhanced Tribal Card or Native American tribal photo ID
- Other documents: In-state, fully valid learner's permit with photo; In-state, fully valid non-driver ID with photo; or temporary driver's license with photo. (You may be asked to present an additional ID when presenting one of these 3 documents.)
Please note: If you present an out-of-state ID, you must present an additional ID.
If you have undergone or are going through sex transition, please see these additional requirements at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/change-of-sex-marker.html
PASSPORT PHOTO: You must provide one photograph with your application. To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all photo requirements. Photo policies apply to both adults and children. Passport Photo Services are available in the Sullivan County Clerk’s Office. Your photo can be taken at the time of application for a $15 service fee.
PASSPORT FEES – There are two fees which must be paid separately at the time of application. The Application Fee is payable to the “U.S. Department of State” via check or money order, and the Execution Fee is payable to the “Sullivan County Clerk” via check, money order or cash.
PROCESSING TIME: Please visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/processing-times.html for current processing times.
Applications can be expedited for a $60 fee. If you require a faster processing time or have a travel emergency, please visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/hurry.html.
To check the status of your application:
- Check Online – Access the Online Passport Status System at https://passportstatus.state.gov to check your application status. It takes 7-10 business days for applications to be trackable online.
- By Phone – Call the National Passport Information Center to check your application status at 877-487-2778 or 888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY) between the following hours: Monday- Friday 8:00 am to 10:00 pm Eastern Time or Saturday 10:00 am to 3:00 pm Eastern Time (excluding Federal Holidays)